Remember the good old days, when Halloween candy consisted entirely of safely neutral geometric shapes, like circular lollipops and rectangular candy bars? Those days are gone. Gradually over time, a sick humor has taken over our candy stores, and an eerie candy-based level of reality has set in. Cute little gummi bears have given way to fake-blood-filled gummi eyeballs. Check out the bizarre choices of candy HERE.
Growing up in the Bowling Green neighborhood of Sacramento, this blogger was taught how to read and mark houses with the Halloween Candy Code. For kids with an early curfew these codes were invaluable. Once they tagged a house, peers could use our marks to reap the best full-size chocolate bars while avoiding Chex mix and dried apricots.
Most marks were left in bright chalk at the bottom of the driveway. See the codes HERE.
You have to hand it to Mark Millar. He’s certainly making the best of Hollywood’s interest in anything with his name attached to it. Take, for instance, the resurfacing of Millar’s pitch for an epic, live-action Superman story that would involve multiple films and chronicle the entire life of DC’s favorite Kryptonian superhero.
EmpireOnline has a brief interview with Millar that reveals a few more details about the massive pitch, which he compares to the “Godfather” trilogy in its birth-to-death take on a single character.
“I want to start on Krypton, a thousand years ago,” said Millar, “and end with Superman alone on Planet Earth, the last being left on the planet, as the yellow sun turns red and starts to supernova, and he loses his powers.”
Millar told Empire he’s working closely with a “big Hollywood action director” to make the project a reality, and proposed releasing the story in three films, spaced a year apart in theaters — similar to “Lord of the Rings.” The writer also explained what he saw as the major flaw in releasing “Superman Returns” in 2006, telling Empire it was “like releasing ‘Star Wars’ in ’77, ‘The Empire Strikes Back’ in ’80 and then waiting 28 years to release ‘Return of the Jedi,’ it wasn’t relevant.”
Millar’s interest in crafting an epic Superman film went public almost a year ago today, when it was announced that the “Superman Returns” writers weren’t returning for the proposed sequel, “The Man of Steel.” At the time, the adaptation of Millar’s “Wanted” was still in the early stages of development, but Millar responded to Warner Bros’ open call for Superman scripts by pitching one of his own — and posting some details about it on his MillarWorld forums. He later announced that Warner Bros had declined his pitch due to his close ties with Marvel Comics.
However, with the impressive box-office success of “Wanted,” a film based on another Millar-penned series, “Kick-Ass,” currently filming in London (and starring Nicolas Cage), his work on Marvel’s “Ultimate” line often cited as the basis for “The Avengers” and many of Marvel Studios’ other upcoming superhero films, one has to wonder if Warner Bros might be a bit more open to his ideas these days. There’s no arguing that the Scottish writer has been pretty busy in the last year.
MTV Networks and Harmonix — the game developer behind the popular “Rock Band” franchise — together with the Beatles’ Apple Corps Ltd., are developing an entirely new interactive music game based solely and exclusively on the entire Beatles catalog.
The game, which does not yet have a title or release date, will not be part of the “Rock Band” franchise, but will be based on the same platform. Since the project is still in early development, all parties were stingy on details during a conference call this morning (Oct. 30). But here’s what is known so far:
The game is designed to take users on an “experiential journey” through the Beatles’ career, music and vision. It will also include new types of interactive gameplay associated with the Beatles’ imagery in addition to its music. Surviving members Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr, as well as Yoko Ono Lennon and Olivia Harrison, are involved in the vision and creative direction.
The music will come from master recordings of the Beatles’ U.K. releases, but will not be remixed or remastered. Giles Martin, the son of original Beatles producer George Martin and co-producer of the Beatles’ “LOVE” project, will serve as music producer.
A fourth-quarter 2009 release is in the cards.
There are numerous details still unconfirmed. Neither MTV or Apple Corps would comment on whether Beatles content will be available for the “Rock Band” franchise as downloadable content at any point, and Apple Corps CEO Jeff Jones said the announcement was in no way meant as a precursor to the Beatles’ catalog arriving at digital music services.
It’s also unclear whether the new game will be compatible with any existing “Rock Band” game peripherals — such as the plastic guitar and drums controllers — or if new custom instruments can be expected.
AT&T has finally launched its free Wi-Fi access for iPhone users at all AT&T-branded hotspots in the U.S. The service will provide free high-speed Internet access to iPhone users at all AT&T hotspots, including those found at Starbucks. To access a hotspot, users must launch the Safari browser, enter their 10-digit phone number on the page provided, agree to the Acceptable Use policy, and tap continue. AT&T will then send the user a text message containing a link, which the user must then open in Safari, and tap a link on the page. The company notes that the link sent via SMS will be valid for 24 hours, and only at the location from which it was requested.
If you’re looking for the ultimate in yo-yos, take a gander at the Catch 22 Yo-Yo ($460). This luxury toy is limited to just 70 units worldwide and boasts a bi-metallic design with a black aluminum body and titanium rims for excellent weight distribution, along with a long-spinning Dorothy bearing and a silicone response system for great play and feel. It comes complete with its own carrying case and a host of extra parts; ability to actually yo-yo not included.
The Hollywood Reporter says Neal Moritz and his Original Films are producing with Kickstart Productions’ Jason Netter.
Created by Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon, “Preacher,” which ran from 1995-2000, told the story of a down-and-out Texas preacher possessed by Genesis, a supernatural entity conceived by the unnatural coupling of an angel and a demon.
Given immense powers, the preacher teamed with an old girlfriend and a hard-drinking Irish vampire and set out on a journey across America to find God — who apparently had abandoned his duties in heaven — and hold him accountable for his negligence.
The project was previously set up as a one-hour series at HBO but was put into turnaround. Mark Steven Johnson wrote a pilot which Howard Deutch was attached to direct.
A previous movie version, to have been produced by Kevin Smith’s View Askew, among others, got to the casting stage, with James Marsden attached for the title role and a reported budget of $25 million. (From ComingSoon.net)
The posters below were created for thingsarefine.org by the Portland, Oregon advertising firm, Borders Perrin Norrander. The simple, clever and powerful images encapsulate the key issues that are of prime importance to voters for this election. America’s dependence on oil is depicted as a baby bottle, global warming becomes a rock band’s farewell tour t-shirt design and the housing market is literally turned upside down.
More images can be seen and downloaded HERE.
Marvel Studios has sent out the following two-part production update for Iron Man 2 and The Avengers!
ROBERT DOWNEY JR. AND JON FAVREAU SUIT UP FOR MARVEL STUDIOS’ THE AVENGERS AND IRON MAN 2
As part of his four picture deal with Marvel Studios, Robert Downey Jr. is appearing as Tony Stark in THE AVENGERS motion picture, as well as reprising his starring role as the larger-than-life leading character in IRON MAN 2. Jon Favreau will return to direct the sequel to the blockbuster IRON MAN, which to date has grossed over $578 million worldwide, as well as executive produce THE AVENGERS.
DON CHEADLE WILL STAR AS RHODEY IN IRON MAN 2
Marvel Studios is pleased today to confirm that an agreement has been finalized with award-winning actor Don Cheadle to take on the role of Colonel James “Rhodey” Rhodes in Marvel’s IRON MAN 2 due in theaters on May 7, 2010. In casting Cheadle, Marvel replaces Terrence Howard who appeared in the role of Rhodey in IRON MAN.
Cheadle is also signed on to perform the same role in THE AVENGERS and subsequent installments of the IRON MAN franchise.
“We are very excited about working with the extraordinarily talented Don Cheadle as we expand the role of Rhodey in Iron Man 2. It has already become apparent as we prep the movie for production, that the dynamic between Robert and Don will take Iron Man 2 to new heights,” said Kevin Feige, President of Marvel Studios.
Based on Marvel’s iconic Super Hero, IRON MAN 2 continues the story of this summer’s box office blockbuster IRON MAN, the first feature film produced independently by Marvel Studios. IRON MAN 2 will be produced by Marvel Studios’ President, Kevin Feige, and executive produced by Louis D’Esposito, Jon Favreau, Stan Lee, David Maisel and Denis Stewart.
In a movie event, THE AVENGERS will bring together the super hero team of Marvel Comics characters for the first time ever, including Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, the Hulk and more, as they are forced to band together to battle the biggest foe they’ve ever faced.
The highly anticipated sequel to IRON MAN will be released in theatres on May 7, 2010 and THE AVENGERS will be released July 15, 2011. Both films will be distributed by Paramount Pictures. (From ComingSoon.net)