Adventureland is a sweet coming of age comedy-drama written and produced by Greg Mottola (the director of Superbad) based on his own experiences working at an amusement park in the late 1980s. Jesse Eisenberg is James, a pothead virgin who is romantically interested in Em (Kristen Stewart), who is sneaking off with married handyman Mike (Ryan Reynolds). Fueled by a fun 80’s soundtrack, the humor is largely delivered by Saturday Night Live’s Bill Hader and Kristen Wiig as the park owners and Martin Starr as a Jewish brainiac who sees anti-Semitism in every first date. As summer comes to a close there’s the question of who Emily will stay with: the flawed and possibly unavailable Connell or James, who is leaving for New York City and grad school. The ending may seem formulaic but it’s hardly clichéd and will leave you happy and satisfied. When James discovers the courage to battle for Em, the result is a funny but heart-felt and unexpected encounter with real adult life.
Both the Blu-ray Hi-Def and Two-Disc DVD editions of Adventureland include these exciting bonus features:
• Deleted Scenes – With optional audio commentary by writer and director Greg Mottola
• Audio Commentary – With writer/director Greg Mottola and actor Jesse Eisenberg
• Just My Life: The Making Of Adventureland – Director and writer Greg Mottola sits down to
reveal how his real life experiences helped inspire his unique comic vision for Daytrippers,
Superbad, Arrested Development and now Adventureland. Cast members Jesse Eisenberg,
Kristen Stewart, Ryan Reynolds, Bill Hader, and Martin Starr also talk candidly about what
shaped them into who they are today, including the worst job they ever had.
• Picture Music Selection
The Blu-ray Hi-Def edition of Adventureland keeps the fun coming with:
• Frigo’s Ball Tap – The “drive by,” the “ambush,” the “stranger,” the “tying of the shoe” and the
knee-buckling, tear-inducing “Bangkok” are just a few of the nad numbing moves demonstrated
by the testicle tapping guru himself, Matt Bush.
• Lisa P’s Guide To Style – Ms. “Rides, Rides, Rides” herself, Lisa P (Margarita Levieva), shares
her totally hip, totally ‘80s fashion advice from spiral locks to neon pink nail polish.
• Welcome to Adventureland – Fans can learn all there is to know about the Adventureland
amusement park with a pair commercials, the employee orientation kit and a peek at the official
Adventureland has a suggested retail price of $29.99 for the 1-Disc disc DVD, $39.99 for the 2-Disc DVD and $44.99 for 2-Disc Blu-ray Hi-Def including digital copy.