Harold & Maude will arrive on Criterion DVD & Blu-ray on April 17, 2012
With the idiosyncratic American fable Harold and Maude, countercultural director Hal Ashby fashioned what would become the cult classic of its era. Working from a script by Colin Higgins, Ashby tells the story of the emotional and romantic bond between a death-obsessed young man (Bud Cort) from a wealthy family and a devil-may-care, bohemian octogenarian (Ruth Gordon). Equal parts gallows humor and romantic innocence, Harold and Maude dissolves the line between darkness and light along with the ones that separate people by class, gender, and age, and it features indelible performances and a remarkable soundtrack by Cat Stevens.
– New high-definition digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
– Optional remastered stereo soundtrack
– Audio commentary by Hal Ashby biographer Nick Dawson and producer Charles B. Mulvehill
– Illustrated audio excerpts of seminars by Ashby and writer-producer Colin Higgins
– New interview with songwriter Yusuf Islam (formerly Cat Stevens)
Plus: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Michael Wood; a 1971 New York Times profile of star Ruth Gordon; and excerpted transcripts of two interviews, one from 1997 with star Bud Cort and director of photography John Alonzo and one from 2001 with executive producer Mildred Lewis