I recently had an opportunity to try out the latest all-in-one offering from Plantronics, the Savi W740 ($399.95). I’ve used multiple wireless Plantronics headsets in the past and this is the very best one yet. Not only is the headset lightweight and comfortable, it also has excellent sound quality and range, but best of all integrates with my PC, mobile phone, and desk phone, all in one sleek looking device.
When I first unboxed the W740, I was really impressed with how much thought went into the packaging and layout of this product. The box contained two smaller boxes. The first box housed the phone base, and AC adapter, modular interface telephone cable, and USB cable to connect to the PC. The second box had a Quick Start Guide, Safety Instructions, Warranty, and fitkit. The fitkit had detailed instructions and offered a wide array of wearing styles to suit any user. It contained 3 different sized ear hooks, 4 varying sized gel earbuds, as well as a foam pad to slide onto the selected ear hook for greater comfort. In addition to the over-the-ear selections, the box also contained 2 headbands: an over-the-ear as well as a behind-the-head option. The box also included the battery and charging base. I was able to quickly mix and match all of the components to find the perfect fit for me.
The setup of the unit was simple. In minutes I had connected my PC for enjoying Skype calls, my desk phone, and had paired my iPhone via Bluetooth to the device. Upon testing it out, I was impressed with the clarity of the sound, and the lightweight feel of the headset. After a few minutes, I had forgotten that I was even wearing a headset. I was able to travel throughout my space without losing any voice quality and was impressed with the range.
The Savi W740 is a well thought-out product with real technology innovations. The battery can be swapped out during a conversation with a fully-charged battery. Additional batteries and charging kits are sold separately. Some options that are compatible only for the W440/W740 are the Spare Battery ($34.95), Deluxe Charging Kit ($49.95), and the USB Deluxe Charging Kit ($44.95). An additional item that I would highly recommend is the HL10 Headset Lifter ($79.95). The handset lifter fits on your telephone, letting you answer calls with the touch of a button. It conveniently and automatically lifts your handset to access the dial tone. I have one, and love how easy it is to answer calls effortlessly.
Some additional features of the Savi W740 are:
– Superior Call Management
– One intelligent headset to manage your PC, mobile and desk phone calls
– Automatically routes calls to the mobile phone or headset – whichever device is within easy reach
– Transfer audio from headset to mobile phone with a press of a button to take mobile calls on-the-road
– One-touch call answer/end, vol +/-, mute and flash controls across devices
– UC presence automatically updated when on a PC, mobile or desk phone call
– Energy efficient adaptive power system optimizes for range and talk time
– Conference in up to three additional headsets and guests can continue through multiple calls
Savi 740 Innovative design
– Lightest DECT wireless headset on the market
– Hot swappable battery kit* lets you change battery mid-conversation delivering unlimited talk time
– Three comfortable, customizable wearing styles
Premium Sound Quality
– Advanced wideband audio using CAT-iq technology for high definition voice quality
– Voice-dedicated DECT™ technology eliminates Wi-Fi interference
– Noise-canceling microphone reduces background noise interruptions
– Enhanced Digital Signal Processing (DSP) provides more natural voice sounds
In addition, if you use a softphone user, many are supported using Plantronics software allowing you to access one-touch call answer/end options.
I was very impressed with the Savi W740. I no longer need to juggle my cell phone, VOIP headset and desk phone, as this one unit seamlessly integrates all of these functions. If you are in need of an all-in-one phone product, this is the one to get. (Reviewed by Meredith Fire-Hess)