In August, Lionsgate Home Entertainment will bring The Hunger Games to Blu-ray. This adaptation of author Suzanne Collins’ popular science-fiction novel focuses on the post-apocalyptic remnants of the United States as well as the Hunger Games, a televised event pitting young adults against one another in a fight to the death.
Academy Award-nominee Jennifer Lawrence (Winter’s Bone) stars as Katniss Everdeen, a skilled Hunger Games contender who unwittingly comes to represent the rebellion protesting the corrupt Capitol that fosters the brutal competition.
Directed by Gary Ross (Seabiscuit), the film also has an impressive supporting cast that includes Josh Hutcherson (The Kids Are All Right), Liam Hemsworth (The Last Song), Stanley Tucci (Captain America: The First Avenger), Toby Jones (Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets), Elizabeth Banks (Man on a Ledge), Donald Sutherland (Invasion of the Body Snatchers), and Woody Harrelson (Zombieland).
Lionsgate’s two-disc Blu-ray/DVD/Digital Copy combo pack presents the film in its 2.39:1 original aspect ratio with a 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio track. The set also contains a number of bonus supplements, such as:
– Eight-part The World is Watching: Making of The Hunger Games documentary
– Game Maker: Suzanne Collins and The Hunger Games Phenomenon featurette
– Letters from the Rose Garden featurette with actor Donald Sutherland
– Controlling the Games featurette on the control center
– Conversation between Gary Ross and film critic Elvis Mitchell
– Complete version of the film’s Panem propaganda video
– Marketing archive
– Blu-ray exclusive Preparing for The Games: A Director’s Process featurette
The Hunger Games streets on August 18th.