Cemetery Dance Publications, the world’s leading publisher of collectible horror and suspense books, has just announced Gwendy’s Button Box by Stephen King and Richard Chizmar, an original, never-before-published novella that marks a return to King’s fabled town of Castle Rock, Maine, and the first-ever collaboration between these two long-time friends and award-winning authors. The Cemetery Dance hardcover and eBook will be published in May.
“It was a pleasure to work with Rich Chizmar one-on-one after all these years,” Stephen King said. “I had a story I couldn’t finish, and he showed me the way home with style and panache. It was a good time, and I think readers will have a good time reading it. If they are left with questions, and maybe have a few arguments, all the better.”
“Steve and I have corresponded about books and movies and life for twenty years now,” said Richard Chizmar, author of the acclaimed short story collection A Long December and the driving force behind the StephenKingRevisited.com website. “I’m a huge admirer of both his work and the man himself. Writing Gwendy’s Button Box with Steve was truly a dream come true for me.”
“Steve sent me the first chunk of a short story,” Chizmar explained. “I added quite a bit and sent it back to him. He did a pass, then bounced it back to me for another pass. Then, we did the same thing all over again – one more draft each. Next thing you know, we had a full-length novella on our hands. We took a free hand in rewriting each other and adding new ideas and characters. The whole process took about a month.”
Here’s some detail on the story:
“There are three ways up to Castle View from the town of Castle Rock: Route 117, Pleasant Road, and the Suicide Stairs. Every day in the summer of 1974 twelve-year-old Gwendy Peterson has taken the stairs, which are held by strong (if time-rusted) iron bolts and zig-zag up the cliffside.
At the top of the stairs, Gwendy catches her breath and listens to the shouts of the kids on the playground. From a bit farther away comes the chink of an aluminum bat hitting a baseball as the Senior League kids practice for the Labor Day charity game.
One day, a stranger calls to Gwendy: ‘Hey, girl. Come on over here for a bit. We ought to palaver, you and me.’
On a bench in the shade sits a man in black jeans, a black coat, like for a suit, and a white shirt unbuttoned at the top. On his head is a small neat black hat. The time will come when Gwendy has nightmares about that hat…”
Cemetery Dance will publish the hardcover for Gwendy’s Button Box in May. Until then, here’s a full look at the jacket. You can pre-order the book HERE.
Book Details & pricing:
– Published as a trade hardcover edition
– Authors: Stephen King and Richard Chizmar
– Artists: Ben Baldwin (Cover) and Keith Minnion (Interiors) - Printed on 60# acid-free paper
– Bound in cloth with colored head and tail bands
– Featuring hot foil stamping on the front boards and spine
– Smyth sewn to create a more durable binding
– Wrapped in a full-color dust jacket
– Featuring one of the lowest print runs for a brand new Stephen King book in many years
– Page Count: 175
– Publication date: May 30, 2017
Choose Your Edition:
– Trade Hardcover ($25)
– Trade Hardcover signed by Richard Chizmar ($25)
– Trade Hardcover with Custom Slipcase ($49.95)
– Trade Hardcover signed by Richard Chizmar with Custom Slipcase ($49.95)
Please note that there will be a signed Limited Edition and signed Lettered Edition of this title announced by Lonely Road Books soon.
– Limited Edition (350) signed by Stephen King & Richard Chizmar
– Lettered Edition (52) signed by Stephen King & Richard Chizmar
The Limited & Lettered Editions will have a 7 X 10 trim size with some additional artwork including a full-color gatefold painting of Castle Rock.