On Prince’s birthday, June 7, the late artist’s estate, in partnership with Warner Bros. Records and Tidal, will release “Originals,” a 15-track album featuring 14 previously unreleased recordings by Prince of such songs. The tracks were selected collaboratively by Troy Carter, on behalf of The Prince Estate, and Jay-Z.
Starting June 7, “Originals” will stream exclusively on Tidal for 14 days.
On June 21, Warner Bros. will release the recordings, sourced directly from Prince’s archive of “Vault” recordings, via all download and streaming partners and physically on CD, while 180 gram 2LP and limited edition Deluxe CD+2LP formats will follow on July 19th.
Prince was a monumentally prolific artist and by the mid-1980s, in addition to releasing nine of his most commercially successful albums, he also wrote and recorded many dozens of songs for proteges The Time, Vanity 6, Sheila E., Apollonia 6, Jill Jones, the Family, and Mazarati. Often, Prince’s original demo recordings would be used as master takes on their albums, with only minor alterations to the instrumentation and a replacement of the vocal tracks. Other times, artists would rely on his demos to guide them through their own recording process, with Prince’s initial take informing their final version of his song.
“Originals” reveals the origins of these songs — many of which were substantial hits — along with deeper album cuts such as Vanity 6’s “Make-Up,” Jill Jones’s “Baby, You’re a Trip,” and Kenny Rogers’ “You’re My Love.” The only previously released song is Prince’s original 1984 version of “Nothing Compares 2 U,” which was released in 2018 as a standalone single (and as a stellar live duet with Rosie Gaines in 1993). The song was originally released in 1985 by The Family, and made into an unforgettable No. 1 single by Sinead O’Connor five years later.
1. Sex Shooter first released by Apollonia 6
2. Jungle Love first released by The Time
3. Manic Monday first released by The Bangles
4. Noon Rendezvous first released by Sheila E.
5. Make-Up first released by Vanity 6
6. 100 MPH first released by Mazarati
7. You’re My Love first released by Kenny Rogers
8. Holly Rock first released by Sheila E.
9. Baby, You’re a Trip first released by Jill Jones:
10. The Glamorous Life first released by Sheila E.
11. Gigolos Get Lonely Too first released by The Time
12. Love… Thy Will Be Done first released by Martika
13. Dear Michaelangelo first released by Sheila E.
14. Wouldn’t You Love to Love Me? first released by Taja Sevelle
15. Nothing Compares 2 U first released by The Family
Pre-order the album HERE.