One of my favorite movies of all-time, Defending Your Life by Albert Brooks will receive the deluxe Criterion Collection treatment in March. If you haven’t watched Brooks’ hilarious take on the afterlife in this smart film then I urge you to do so!!!
Is there love after death? Acerbic everyman Albert Brooks finds a perfect balance between satirical bite and romantic-comedy charm as the writer, director, and star of this wonderfully warm and imaginative existential fantasy. After he dies suddenly, the hapless advertising executive Daniel Miller (Brooks) finds himself in Judgment City, a gleaming way station where the newly deceased must prove they lived a life of sufficient courage to advance in their journey through the universe. As the self-doubting Daniel struggles to make his case, a budding relationship with the uninhibited Julia (Meryl Streep) offers him a chance to finally feel alive. Buoyed by a brilliant supporting cast that includes Rip Torn, Lee Grant, and Buck Henry, Defending Your Life is a rare feat of personal, philosophical filmmaking that happens to also be divinely entertaining.
– New 4K digital restoration, supervised by director Albert Brooks, with 2.0 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
– New conversation between Brooks and filmmaker Robert Weide
– New interview on the afterlife with theologian and critic Donna Bowman
– New program featuring excerpts from 1991 interviews with Brooks and actors Lee Grant and Rip Torn
– English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
– Plus an essay by filmmaker Ari Aster
Available March 30, 2021. Pre-order HERE.