LEGO has revealed the new LEGO Atari 2600 set, a nostalgic recreation of one of the most famous video game consoles of all time.
The iconic Atari VCS/2600 was an instant hit when introduced in 1977 and the new LEGO set is based on the four-switch revision which debuted in 1980. The release of the new LEGO set also comes in celebration of Atari’s 50th anniversary.
From the unboxing experience through to adding the final brick, building this intricate set is an evocative journey within itself. Activate challenge mode as you build your own console in brick form and take a nostalgic journey uncovering features such as the controller with a joystick that moves to feel just like the original.
Brick builders and gamers alike will enjoy sliding open the front and unveiling a pop-up scene from an 80’s gaming room, reviving memories of hours spent trying to get a new high score.
The set also includes three video game cartridges of iconic Atari games in brick format: Asteroids, Adventure and Centipede. The cartridges can be stored in a case and built into mini versions of the games. In addition, the console includes a switch to select whether you have a color or black and white television.
When it came to choosing a LEGO Designer for the set, there was only one person for the job. Lifelong Atari fan Chris McVeigh, who said about the design; “The Atari 2600 was one of the most memorable gifts I got as a kid. I recall spending hours and hours in front of the TV, absolutely amazed that I could play arcade games in my own home. There were so many legendary titles, too, including Asteroids, Adventure, and Centipede. This is why it has been such an incredible experience to bring two icons together, Atari and LEGO, in this awesome set. We hope that building this classic console takes you back to those halcyon days when a handful of pixels meant a world of adventure.”
– Build A 1980s Gaming Icon – Enjoy a mindful project crafting all the details of this Atari 2600 (10306) buildable console model, complete with joystick, game cartridges and mini build story scenes
– Revel In The Retro Details – This replica version of the Atari 2600 console is packed with authentic details that you’ll remember from the original with a few LEGO twists added
– 3 Retro Game Cartridges – Assemble the 3 classic game cartridges: Asteroids, Adventure and Centipede. They slot into the console just like they did on the original
– Build And Reveal The 1980s Scene – The hidden vignette shows a kid playing Asteroids in a 1980s room. Spot the details like the classic TV, boom box, posters, retro phone and roller skates
– Create 3 Game Display Pieces – Build 3 scenes inspired by the Asteroids, Adventure and Centipede games, including a spaceship shooting at asteroids, a castle and a centipede with mushroom builds
– Find The Easter Egg – Did you know that the Adventure game is credited as being one of the first video games to contain an Easter egg? Look out for the LEGO designer’s tribute to this fun fact
– Dimensions – Main console model measures over 3 in. (8 cm) high, 13 in. (33 cm) wide and 8.5 in. (22 cm) deep
The LEGO Atari 2600 set is available on August 1, 2022 via LEGO Stores and www.LEGO.com/Atari for $239.99.