In celebration of the 50th anniversary of this iconic masterpiece of psychological suspense, Suntup Editions is delighted to announce a fine press edition of The Stepford Wives by Ira Levin.
The idyllic village of Stepford, Connecticut is an affluent suburban town populated with successful, satisfied hubbies and their beautiful, dutiful wives. For photographer Joanna Eberhart, a recent arrival with her husband and two children, it all seems too perfect to be true–from the sweet, accommodating Welcome Wagon lady to all those cheerful, friendly faces in the supermarket checkout lines. But just beneath the town’s flawless surface, something is sordid and wrong–something abominable with roots in the local Men’s Association. And it may already be too late for Joanna to save herself from being devoured by Stepford’s hideous perfection.
A savage commentary on a media-driven society that values the pursuit of youth and beauty at all costs, The Stepford Wives is a novel so frightening in its final implications that the title itself has earned a place in the American lexicon. First published in September 1972, The Stepford Wives was referred to by one reviewer as “an extraordinary feminist horror novel. Ira Levin powerfully dramatizes women’s suburban alienation and men’s resistance to feminist change.”
The novel was adapted into two feature films, both using the same title as the novel: the 1975 version, and the 2004 remake.
Ira Levin completed work on The Stepford Wives in February 1972, and dedicated the novel to his sister, Eleanor (ellie) Busman, and her husband Joe. This edition is dedicated to the memory of Eleanor (ellie) Busman (1925-2021).
The edition includes an introduction written by Peter Straub in 2002.
– 6” x 9” trim size.
– 162 Pages.
– Limited to 1000 copies.
– Signed by Laurie Lee Brom.
– Quarter cloth binding with paper over boards.
– Foil blocking on cover and spine.
– Introduction by Peter Straub.
– Six full color oil painting illustrations by Laurie Lee Brom.
– Dust jacket illustrated on the front and back by Laurie Lee Brom (the only edition featuring this illustrated dust jacket).
– Printed letterpress on a Heidelberg Cylinder, with two colors on the title, introduction and chapter pages.
– Chapter openings include a halftone image printed letterpress with the text.
– Printed on Mohawk Superfine paper.
– Housed in a cloth covered slipcase.
– Bookmark with all pre-orders.
Pre-order The Stepford Wives Artist Edition HERE for $155. The book is due to be published in the Fall of 2023.