The Criterion Collection has announced its September batch of 4K Blu-ray and Blu-ray releases and one of my favorite movies of all-time made the cut…The Princess Bride (1987).
A high-spirited adventure that pits true love against inconceivable odds, The Princess Bride has charmed legions of fans with its irreverent gags, eccentric ensemble, and dazzling swordplay. A kid (Fred Savage), home sick from school, grudgingly allows his grandfather (Peter Falk) to read him a dusty storybook—which is how we meet the innocent Buttercup (Robin Wright, in her breakout role), about to marry the nefarious Prince Humperdinck (Chris Sarandon) though her heart belongs to Westley (Cary Elwes). The wedding plans are interrupted, however, by a mysterious pirate, a vengeful Spaniard, and a good-natured giant, in a tale full of swashbuckling, romance, and outrageously hilarious spoofery. Directed by Rob Reiner from an endlessly quotable script by William Goldman, The Princess Bride reigns as a fairy-tale classic.
Special Features Include:
-4K digital restoration, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack
– One 4K UHD disc of the film presented in Dolby Vision HDR and one Blu-ray with the film and special features
– Audio commentary featuring director Rob Reiner, screenwriter William Goldman, producer Andrew Scheinman, and actors Billy Crystal and Peter Falk
– Edited audiobook reading of Goldman’s novel The Princess Bride by Reiner
– Program about Goldman’s screenplay
– Program about Goldman’s tapestry based on his novel
– Interviews with Reiner, Goldman, and actors Crystal, Cary Elwes, Christopher Guest, Mandy Patinkin, Chris Sarandon, Fred Savage, and Robin Wright
– Interview with art director Richard Holland
– Programs about makeup, fencing, and fairy tales
– On-set video diary filmed and narrated by Elwes
– Five behind-the-scenes videos with commentaries by Reiner, Scheinman, and Crystal
– English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
– Plus: An essay by author Sloane Crosley and Goldman’s introduction to his Princess Bride script from his collection Four Screenplays, in a lavishly illustrated, clothbound book
Pre-order HERE; The Criterion Collection: The Princess Bride will release on September 5, 2023.